Chinese Student Visa (Study Visa)

Revised: 2017-08-14

2014/11/11: Per Sino-US agreement, from Nov. 12, 2014, X1 visa is valid for 5-years for US citizens.

2009/09/24: If your JW201/202 indicates a duration less than 180 days, you may only get a single entry visa. Mulitple entry visa is only issued for those whose JW201/202 has a duration over 180 days.

Student visa (X1, X2) is issued to an alien who comes to China for study, advanced studies or intern practice. If the period of intended study is 180 or more, you will get an X1, otherwise an X2 visa.

I. Documents needed for a student visa

  1. Your valid and actual passport. The passport must have at least six (6) months validity left before expiration and at least one blank page left in it.
  2. A copy of the photo page of your passport.
  3. One completed Chinese Visa Application Form.
  4. One photo (approximately 2x2, color, similar to passport photo). Detailed visa photo requirement.
  5. An enrollment letter from the Chinese school.
  6. An approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202) issued by the authorized Chinese unit (required ONLY if the intended study is 180 days or longer)
  7. If you were born in mainland China, Hong Kong or Taiwan, and your current foreign passport does not have an old Chinese visa, please submit the original AND a copy of your old Chinese passport (pages with your name, photo and passport extension), or a copy of old Chinese visa on your last foreign passport. Also supply your name in Chinese characters. Be sure to check out the Chinese version: documents required for Chinese visa.
  8. Non-US passport holder must provide original AND copy of green card, or a copy of US immigration document (e.g. H1B, I-20). Please read detailed information and country specific visa requirements.
  9. Online order confirmation page (create a new order).

III. Visa fee and processing time

The consular fee is $140 and our service fee is $79.96. The regular processing time at the consulate is 4 working days. Additional fees are required for express processing. For details, please see visa fee table.

Please note: From time to time, the consulate may experience delays. Please check our home page for important update on processing time.

IV. Visa validity period and duration of stay

X1 visa holders are required to register at the local police to get a resident permit upon entering China, normally within 30 days. The resident permit will allow you to enter/exit freely during your period of study.

  • X1 visa is valid for 5-years with multiple entry for US passport holders.
  • X2 visa can be 6-month multiple entry.

"That was a very fast service and I really like the updates via email...."

"... Excellent communication. Very knowledgeble of Chinese Embassy paperwork processing...."

Your satisfaction is our top priority! Testimonials.