Chinese Business and Non-Business Visit Visa

Modified: 2017-08-14

From September 2013, the original Chinese business visa ("F" visa) is divided into "M" (business and trade) and "F" ("non-business" visit), the scope of the latter includes scientific, technological and culture exchanges. Short-term advanced studies or internship is now classified as X2. There is no change in document requirement, even though the classification is changed.

From Nov. 12, 2014, applicants with US passports can get 10-year multiple entry for tourist, business visits, regardless of the passport expiration date. From March 9, 2015, applicants with Canadian passports can get upto 10-year multiple entry for tourist, business visits.

I. Documents needed for a business (M) and non-business (F) visit visa

  1. Your valid and actual passport. The passport must have at least six (6) months validity left before expiration and at least one blank page left in it.
  2. A copy of the photo page of your passport.
  3. One completed Chinese Visa Application Form.
  4. One photo (approximately 2x2, color, similar to passport photo). Detailed visa photo requirement.
  5. (From 2012/08/01) invitation letter from your Chinese host: click to see detailed requirements.
  6. If you were born in mainland China, Hong Kong or Taiwan, and your current foreign passport does not have an old Chinese visa, please submit the original AND a copy of your old Chinese passport (pages with your name, photo and passport extension), or a copy of old Chinese visa on your last foreign passport. Also supply your name in Chinese characters. Be sure to check out the Chinese version: documents required for Chinese visa.
  7. Non-US passport holder must provide original AND copy of green card, or a copy of US immigration document (e.g. H1B, I-20). Please read detailed information and country specific visa requirements.
  8. Online order confirmation page (create a new order).

II. How to apply

Please follow "How to apply: Step by step procedures" on our main index page.

Multiple entry "L" visa

Visiting Hong Kong or Macau on your trip? You may need multiple entry visa.

III. Visa fee and processing time

The consular fee is $140 and our service fee is $79.96. The regular processing time at the consulate is 4 working days. Additional fees are required for express processing. For details, please see visa fee table.

Please note: From time to time, the consulate may experience delays. Please check our home page for important update on processing time.

IV. Visa validity period and duration of stay

Validity period

The validity period refers to the time the visa is valid. It can range from 90 days to 10 year.

For US/Canadian citizens, this is not an issue, as you can apply for the 10-year multiple entry visa.

For citizens of other countries, a "single entry" or "double entry" "M/F" visa is usually valid only 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa is expired and is null and void.

If you intend to apply for double entry visa, please remember that your second entry can be no later than 180 days from the date your visa was issued!

Duration of stay

The duration of stay is the time you can stay in China after each entry.

For both M or F type visa, the duration of stay is normally 60 days for US/Canadians (30 days for other countries), which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 60/30 days from the date of entry on each trip. You may get 90 days if you can justify your longer stay.

If you want to stay longer than 90 days, it is still possible, but the consul may give you only "one year multiple entry" instead of "10 year multiple entry".

"That was a very fast service and I really like the updates via email...."

"... Excellent communication. Very knowledgeble of Chinese Embassy paperwork processing...."

Your satisfaction is our top priority! Testimonials.