Affidavit of Single Status and Marry in China
Before you go to China to marry your loved one, you need an "Affidavit of Single Status" authenticated by the Chinese consulate.
This document describes how to obtain authentication of the affidavit at the Chinese consulate.
- You may only do one Affidavit of Single Status every 6 months.
- The affidavit is valid for 6 months from the date the consulate authenticates it. The affidavit must be submitted to the Chinese consulate for authentication within 3 months after it was notarized.
- If you had previous marriage, you may also need to apply for authentication of the divorce decree (certificate) or death certificate of your spouse. The procedures for authentication of those documents are similar and are addressed in more details in other pages on our web site.
- If you were divorced and you or your spouse was a Chinese citizen, you must go to Chinese court for recognition.
- From 2013, the Affidavit of Single Status must include information of your fiance or fiancee.
I. Authentication of affidavit of single status: basic procedures
1. Draft the afidavit of single status and have it notarized.
- You must do this step yourself, as the notary will notarize your signature.
- Banks normally provide free notary service for their clients.
- Please find the sample affidavit towards the end of the page.
1a. Certify by the county (most states do NOT require this step)
- Only a handful states require this step (Alabama, Georgia, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee).
- You need to do this step yourself -- we do not offer service for this step except for Maryland.
2. Certify by the Office of Secretary of State of the state where the document is executed.
- We begin providing service for this part from September 2012, due to popular demand.
- You may also do this step yourself.
3. (DC Chinese Embassy states only) Authenticated by US Department of State
- This step is needed only if the document is to be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC.
- Other consulates, including Houston, do not need this step.
4. Certified by the Chinese consulate.
- Your document must be authenticated by a Chinese consulate which holds consular jurisdiction over the state which issues your document.
II. Steps to apply for authentication of diploma and transcripts through YWPW
We accept authentication applications for documents certified by the Secretaries of State Office of Houston consulate and DC ChineseEmbassy states
- Chinese Consulate in Houston covers: AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, OK, TX, PR
- Chinese Embassy in DC covers: DC, DE, ID, KY, MD, MT, NC, ND, NE, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, WV, WY
If your document is from a state not listed above but you would like to use our service, you may always choose to do an extra step, i.e. authentication by US Department of State (cost $48 extra per document), then the document can authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in DC.
- Please fill out the online order form of our agency.
- Print the confirmation page.
You order ID, our mailing address, payment information (including credit card payment) and other
instructions are shown on the confirmation page.
- Mail us the documents listed in the "Documents needed" section below.
- Tell us the time and method
you mailed your documents, including tracking number, so that we can track the movement of your mail.
- Upon receiving your documents, we will check your application, and contact you if there is any issue. We then submit your application to the consulate, pick it up, and mail it back to you.
- We update your order status by email and online when we:
a). receive your documents; b). submit your application to the consulate;
c). pickup and mail back your documents.
We usually send emails and update status in the evening hours, but if there is anything goes wrong, we may contact you during the day.
III. Processing time and fees
- The consular authentication step takes about 1 week, and the consular fee is $25 per document.
- The US Department of State authentication step also takes about 1 week, and the DOS fee is $8 per document.
- The time for the Secretary of State certification step varies, but normally 10-15 days. The SOS fee ranges from $2 to $25 per document.
- We charge a service fee ($39.96) per document for each step invloved (volume discount available if more than 2 documents).
IV. Documents needed to apply for authentication of affidavit of single status
- One Authentication Application Form. The form must be completed and signed by the applicant.
- Photocopy of the applicant's passport (page with name and photo).
- If you are not a US citizen, please also provide copy of your current immigration document (e.g. green card, I-20, H1B).
- Copy of the Chinese ID card (both sides) of your fiance/fiancee.
- If you had a previous marriage, please also provide a copy of the divorce certificate (decree) or death certificate of your spouse.
- The "original" documents to be authenticated.
- The "photocopy" of the documents to be authenticated.
- If you have already done the Secretary of State authentication, the copy should include the state certification page.
Please do NOT take them apart when making copies -- doing so will invalidate the document.
V. Questions and Answers
I have multiple documents, do I need to attach an application form for each document?
No. No matter how many documents, as long as they all belong to the same applicant, you only need to provide one authentication application form.
VI. Sample Affidavit of Single Status
AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS
On this date of _________________, I, (name of affiant), residing at (street and number) (city) (state) (zip code)
BEING DULY SWORN DEPOSE AND SAY:
I was born on (date) at (city) (country)
I am a (country) citizen. My passport number is
I am a (current occupation) . I am employed by (company name and address)
I am currently single, have never been married (or was divorced/widowed on (date) and have never been remarried since that date).
I have no direct blood tie or kinship within 3 generations with XXX (name of fiancee/fiance).
Signature of the Affiant: _______________________________
Name in Print:________________________________________
(The exact wording may be different in your state)
STATE OF _________________________
COUNTY OF _______________________
Subscribed and sworn to before me this _____ day of ____________________, 20____ by _____________________________, who is personally known to me or who has produced ________________________________ as identification.
Notary Public's Signature
"That was a very fast service and I really like the updates via email...."
"... Excellent communication. Very knowledgeble of Chinese Embassy paperwork processing...."
Your satisfaction is our top priority!